Protecting Waldorf Homes From Water Damage
The sump pump is the most cost-effective way to help prevent flood damage in your home. Typically found in the corners of basements in what’s called a sump pit, this device is designed to pump out water that collects beneath your home and could potentially cause some sort of flooding.
No matter what goes on with your sump pump, Genevie Plumbing has you covered. We can assist with maintenance and replacements. Never worry about flooding when you have us on the job!
Do You Need a Sump Pump?
Sump pumps aren’t needed for every homeowner. Most often, sump pumps are needed in Waldorf homes with basements or crawl spaces.
The sump pump will push the water outside or to another designated area. However, even if you don’t have a basement but live in an area that has excessive snow or rainfall, owning one will be a safe bet. Having a functional sump pump can also reduce the risk of mold that could affect the health of everyone in the home.
Sump Pump: Common Cause Failures
There are many reasons why a sump pump can fail. Since it’s a mechanical device that works behind the scenes, it’s common to overlook it until you’re ankle-deep in water. Make sure you stay aware of what could happen if your sump pump is not kept under proper maintenance.
Some failures include:
- Motor failure
- Wrong unit size
- A dirty sump pit
- Float problems
- Power interruption
- Incorrect installation
- Insufficient maintenance
- Icy or clogged discharge lines
- Debris falling into the pit, prohibiting property float operation
- A small or collapsed sump pit
- Age (average life span is about ten years)
- A seasonal subterranean spring you don’t know about
- Discharge line installed underground
Sump Pumps Maintenance Checklist
Below are some regular home maintenance tips you can perform to keep your sump pump in good condition and stay aware of when you need to call in a professional.
- Ensure all cords are in good shape with no exposed wires.
- Ensure that it is plugged into a dedicated GFCI outlet in the event of power surges.
- Confirm the pump is standing upright and not tilting to one side or another.
- If the pump hasn’t been on recently, test the pump by dumping water into the pit to ensure the pump is at full efficiency.
- Occasionally clean the grate on the bottom and ensure there are no blockages, such as small stones in the grate.
- Confirm the discharge pipe’s vent hole is clear, most pumps have a small vent hole in the pump base.
Services We Can Offer
Genevie Plumbing proudly offers complete service for your sump pump. This includes installation and replacements when needed. Avoid your pump from going out when you need the most with our services and know that you’ll be well taken care of when getting a new pump installed in your home.
Battery Backup Sump Pumps
We also offer battery backup sump pumps! This option can provide security in the event of a power failure during storms and still assist in preventing flood damage. Don’t worry about flooding when you need it the most. Give us a call to hear our battery backup options.
We’re Available 24/7, Give Us A Call!
We understand how vital a sump pump can be for many homes. If yours fails at any point, give us a call. We offer 24/7 emergency services to keep your family and home safe at all times. For all of your pumping and drainage needs, Genevie Plumbing is ready for your call!